anonymous tech woman

Yet another woman in technology blog. I'm actually a developer who uses a variety of Java and database technologies on a variety of platforms.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

ThunderBird

I have decided to have another attempt at using Mozilla Thunderbird. I tried using a few years ago but didn't like the way that I couldn't get all my accounts set up. So I have tried again. My aim is to be able to access my mail from either my Windows XP or Linux Machine.

Luckily for me my Linux distribution comes with an addition of Thunderbird so it's was just a case of intalling it. For Windows I had to download a copy and then install it, import my messages from Outlook and set it up so my mail is in a shared folder. Importing messages is done automatically be Thunderbird from various other mail programs so this step was easy but took a long time.

At the moment I am trying to get my Samba configuration to work so that I can access my mail folder. At the moment Windows can see Linux but Linux cannot see Windows so I'll have to play around with the firewalls until this works.

Later on I discovered the fault lay in the fact that linux was set in the wrong zone on Zone Alarm i.e. internet instead of trusted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home